Internships Abroad


There are many reasons why an internship abroad is becoming a popular choice for Spanish students. Reasons for this include a lack of opportunities at home, the need to learn a new language ​​or a desire to improve their professional experience.
In-company internships, whether at home or abroad, are always profitable learning experiences. You can apply the knowledge learnt at school in a professional environment.

Mobility programs that include professional internships may be:
· Paid: Most companies offer help or remuneration for work and training undertaken with them. The salary will depend on the degree, position, responsibilities, and most especially language skills and previous experience.

· Unpaid or voluntary: There is also the possibility of obtaining an unpaid internship. This type of internship is usually offered when the candidate has little language skills and the goal is to learn the language.

Advantages of an internship abroad

· Improve the level of students’ language skills: All students entering the labour market are aware of the importance of languages ​​to participate and stand out in recruitment processes.

· Personal skills: In addition to the professional skills, you would also acquire really valuable personal skills. Getting to know a different culture, different customs and being able to be self-sufficient abroad, are very valuable.


Tips to keep in mind if you're going to undertake an international internship

· Information: Before undertaking this experience, it is important to research whether your university degrees are accredited abroad in order to find an internship and secure a contract without any unnecessary administrative problems.

· Study the language: Get ready, check the grammar and vocabulary before your departure. This will make you feel safer and it also will refresh those terms that you will use every day while you're abroad.

· Adapt your CV: You should adapt your resume to fit the standards of the country you want to apply to. Therefore, you have to know which structure you are going to follow so that your CV can be used for future recruitment processes

· Patience: It is important to be full of positive energy and have a lot of patience. Your efforts will be rewarded. If it is difficult to prove and enhance your working skills for a job in your country, then it is even more so abroad, but do not give up because your efforts will pay off.

· Types of contracts abroad: Analyse the general conditions of the internship contract that different companies offer thoroughly. Not all countries have the same specifications and it is important to be completely sure of your duties, obligations and rights before you sign anything.


Useful documents for university students or recent graduates.

· Europass: If you decide to seek a job in Europe, having Europass documents can be very useful: CV, language passports, European title supplement and a Europass Mobility document. Each of these has an official format recognized across Europe and will prove positive for your search.

· EURES: In 1993, the European Commission created a platform to provide mobility for workers within the European Union.

· Mobility scholarships: Find out about all the different scholarships you can apply for. There are different types: excellency, language skills or professional experience. The following are interesting examples: Faro internships (for university students on their final year), Argo or Leonardo Scholarships.

Residencies and work documents

· EU Countries
If you are a national of one of the Member States, you have the right to live in any country that belongs to the EU. Depending on the length of your stay, you may be required to have a work or study permit or other requested document:
- Short stays (less than 3 months): With your identity card or passport you´ll have everything you need to stay in the country legally. If you are looking for a job, you can stay between 3 and 6 months, and as long as you can show you are actively looking for work you will be able to stay longer. If you already have a job, you need to register at your new place of residence after 3 months.
- Long stays (more than 3 months): When you find your first job in the country, registration is mandatory. This way you can have access to social security and begin trading (provided under the laws of this country).

· Non-EU Countries:
This depends on each country, they all have specific legislation on employment and residence: there are countries where you can enter as a tourist, and once you find work you are able to start processing your visa. For others, it is necessary to enter the country with the approved visa, jobs and work permit.
To specifically deal with all required documentation, you can contact the embassy or consulate.

Your browser is out of date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now